National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
Ventura County Council’s 2020 course dates are: July 26, 2020 through August 1, 2020
Our Participant pricing is: $275 until 7/6/2020 – late pricing is in effect after 7/6
Q. What is NYLT?
A. National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, KNOW, and DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
Q. I’m interested in NYLT, what are the requirements to attend?
A. In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have earned the rank of First Class. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
Q. I would like to participate in the 2020 course, how do I sign up?
A. Online registration is now available. Follow this link to our registration system: NYLT2020
Once registered, and as we approach course commencement, each participant will be provided with a packet of information that outlines the personal equipment necessary for the course. The packet includes a resource questionnaire, health and medical forms, permission slips, and an NYLT Personal Gear List checklist.
Each Scout is required to have at least one (two recommended) uniforms consisting of Scout shirt, Scout pants or shorts, Scout belt (generally referred to as a field uniform) which will be worn daily at breakfast. During the day, participants will wear the NYLT uniform consisting of a NYLT t-shirt (provided on the first day of the course) along with Scout pants and Scout belt. The course includes an outpost camp, and backpacking. A checklist of additional equipment will be sent to you prior to the training.
Q. I’m interested in applying for 2020 NYLT Staff, what are the qualifications and how do I apply?
A. The NYLT Youth Staff conduct the course under the guidance of the NYLT Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmasters. Adult Staff members will mentor Youth Staff to succeed in delivering the program to the participants, while also facilitating the continued development of the Youth Staff members as leaders.
Youth Staff applicants should:
- Have previously attended NYLT
- Have held a Troop or Crew leadership position
Adult Staff applicants should:
- Have attended Wood Badge
- Have experience coaching/mentoring youth members of a Troop or Crew