National Youth Leadership Training
BUILDING THE NEXT GENERATION OF LEADERS
National Youth Leadership Training, July 30 - August 5, 2023 is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
NYLT is a focused, high-energy outdoor experience for Scout BSA Troop/Venturing Crew youth leaders. Participants experience an ideal Troop, experiencing team challenges to understanding their own "Quest for the Meaning of Leadership." Some leadership skill objectives include:
- Developing team visions
- Goal setting with SMART goals.
- Project planning – 4W’s
- Communication - MaSeR
- Leading EDGE methods
- Conflict Management – EAR
The skills presented at NYLT are like those given in management training at major corporations. Scouts who take NYLT will learn valuable skills that will serve them well in college, trade careers, military service, or future activities as young adults.
Jordan Avello Educator and Master’s degree candidate
“What I can say is that NYLT helped me build a fairly solid foundation for teaching; I feel like it put me way ahead of some of my colleagues in terms of pedagogical strategies and openness to criticism. I’ve used my NYLT skills a few times in the past years to lead myself through challenges and keep myself focused on my vision.”
Account Manager, Large Customer Sales, Google
“NYLT kicked off a decade of explosive growth for me in all areas of life. It ingrained in me a growth mindset that changed how I approach school, sports, and now, my career. Even today in my role at Google, I find myself relying on NYLT principles to drive day-to-day thinking around my work.”
What are the prerequisites for this course?
To attend, participants must hold, or intend to hold, a unit leadership position to be eligible for the course, and satisfy the following requirements:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting Unit (Troop, Crew, or Ships)
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Forms Part A, B & C
- Scouts must be 13 and completed eighth grade years of age and fall within the maximum age for their program of registration.
- They must be a first-Class Scout and completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for their Troops (ILST).
- Venture and Sea Scouts must be at least 14 or 13 and completed eighth grade and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program.
- They must have Introduction to Leadership Skills for their Crews or Ships. (ILST, ILSC or ILSS)
- Limited Camperships will be available apply here.
Camperships are available to applicants to help lessen the financial burden of the course. Assistance is also available through several sources such as your Unit or chartered partner. Typical camperships are 50% of the course fee, and submission deadlines vary.
To apply for a VCC campership, please contact your course director for the course you are interested in attending.
To apply for a NYLT Campership, please use the link. Only one campership is available per course. Application must be received by July 1, 2023.
- $325 In/out-Council Participant
- $150 Youth Staff
- $200 Staff
|Map to Camp 3 Falls||Download|